Thursday, 2 June 2011

Henry Benton Todd

- all smiles at 5 hours old -

With our Henry turning exactly 5 weeks today, I thought it time to bring this unintentional blog hiatus to a close! We are so proud and happy to officially announce (in blog land) the birth of our son - Henry Benton Todd. He entered our lives at 9:24 am on April 28th, 2011 - a Thursday morning. Incredibly, Bowen was also born on a Thursday! Stewart and I went in early that morning for a c-section. I was 11 days overdue and had been hoping (unsuccessfully) to go into labor naturally. We were SO ready and anxious to meet our sweet little boy, and he did not disappoint! While Phil Collins' Groovy Kind of Love played in the background (totally by chance!), we prepared to meet our son. Amazingly, we both watched as they pulled him from my stomach and placed him directly on my chest - an incredible and heart stopping moment. The first thing Stewart and I noticed were his huge, wrinkled, pruney and purple hands and feet! He was just beautiful and straight away, I thought he looked like Stewart! I didn't realize until later just exactly how much!! After a bit, they took him to be weighed. Stewart and I had a weight bet going - his 7 lbs 2 oz and mine 7 lbs 6 oz. Henry blew past us, coming in a 3.640 kg or an even 8 pounds! Later, when we measured, he was about 21 inches long. Although I knew he would be bigger than Bowen (6 lbs, 4 oz) it was amazing how noticeably larger he felt in my arms. Stewart and I spent the rest of that wonderful day gazing at Henry in awe and wonder, taking pictures and recounting the days events, just the three of us. We missed our Bowen terribly. She spent the day with Gayla, totally unaware that between playing & napping, she had become a big sister! Henry and I spent one night in the hospital before being released to go home on Friday, April 29th - the day of the ROYAL WEDDING! I will never forget watching the wedding with Stewart, Henry and the other mom's & babies down in the television room of Queen Charlotte's Hospital AND seeing Kate's much anticipated dress finally unveiled! Ok, back to Henry:). We arrived home later that afternoon to a sleeping Bowen and took the next couple hours to settle in. After she woke, I spent a few minutes alone with her and then she took my hand as I led her into the living room to be introduced to her little brother. She was SO sweet and gentle with him, touching his nose, eyes, ears, hands and feet. It was one of those moments you know you'll never forget.

For now, I'll stop there. Stewart and I know how blessed we are to have these two happy, healthy little ones and Henry has already added so much depth and fullness to our family. I can't believe 5 weeks have passed since he arrived. It is a joy to watch as he changes and grows, developing more awareness and personality every day. We know all too well how fast the baby stage goes, having just watched Bowen these past 21 months. That newborn phase goes especially quick and we are determined to savor every second with this little boy.

Welcome to our sweet little love, Henry.

We adore you now & forever.

M, D & B xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment