Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Careful YOU!


For a few weeks now, I've been meaning to sit down and write about how much Bowen is growing and changing lately. It's really amazing to Stewart and me how she misses nothing and is so clever and intuitive. Her language has come on leaps and bounds. Every day, every hour even, she's adding a new piece of vocabulary or speech pattern. She's funny, loves to giggle, sing and I'm noticing more and more imaginative and pretend learning. So, in list form, I want to write down all the cute/funny/clever that she's doing at this very fun and special age. We are having SUCH a good time with her. She is such a happy, sparkly little girl who brings life and smiles to everyone around her.

So, here goes...

1. Careful YOU. Two funny things about this one. First, Bowen calls herself 'you' - in nearly everything she says. You gonna go to the park, you gonna come home, you're turn (no, not yours - her's - but it makes her sound very considerate to others at the park! :) It is a curious one to try to correct - the whole 'your/my' thing is difficult to explain to a two year old when she's constantly being called YOU by others. It is funny to us and in time will correct itself. For now, I try "Bowen - say, It's MY turn", and she's starting to make the switch. The second part of this is 'careful' - Bowen's first quote of me. Guess it just proves I am a bit of a safety mom! How funny to hear your child start to repeat you. So, this is one of the most hilarious things she says - and she says it a lot! Every time she stumbles, bumps, falls, or runs into something she'll say... 'Careful YOU!'. It leaves us in stitches.

2. I'm OK! This is the other thing we hear when B stumbles, bumps, trips or falls into something. Most times it's like she's trying to reassure us, but sometimes (when she actually is hurting) it's like she's trying to reassure herself! We'll hear her say it in that voice that's almost a cry... so sweet and funny all at the same time!

3. BU-DWA to BOWEN. She's finally done it... learned to say her name properly. Now she wants to say it all the time in conjunction with what she's doing. There is a slight emphasis on 'wen' and Stewart and I noticed that she now says it very similarly to how Esme says her name!

4. Happy Birthday. Bowen LOVES to sing. There are about 5 or 6 songs she likes right now, but Happy Birthday wins out as favorite. She changes out the person she's singing to - Momma, Dadda, baby, Henry, puppy, Esme, Leah, bunny... and the list goes on. Other favorite songs right now are Alley Alley O, Old MacDonald, The Wheels on the Bus, Row Row Row your Boat, ABC's and Rain Rain Go Away to name a few. She really does have a lovely singing voice.

5. De Nada, Momma. This one is a very obvious result of her Dora viewings. I was feeding her lunch the other day and we were sharing some potato snacks. She gave me one and I jokingly said, "Gracias, Bowen." She promptly turned to me and said, "De nada, Momma." Amazing and hilarious all in one.

6. Shoot. Ok - I've got a potty mouth, so shoot me. Actually, 'shoot' is exactly what I said the other day and B picked it right up and repeated it a couple times. I ignored it and she stopped and I'm just praying it doesn't come up again. I really need to watch my mouth from here on out - it is NOT a joke! Nevertheless, 'shoot' was Bowen's first curse word. :)

7. Turn the music on, PLEASE! Oh - this is a HUGE favorite these days and quite literally every time we walk into the kitchen, she makes this very insistent, but polite request. BTW - she never fails to say please when requesting this - I'm a proud momma!

8. Not this one! Going hand in hand with the above is the fact that when B requests music, she is not just requesting ANY music. No, it has to be Phil Collins or we hear, "Not this one!" Each time we try to put something else on, she notices right away and will let you know it! :) Should Stewart and I be worried that she has built such an attachment to Phil??!

9. Baby go down for a rest? Bowen loves to ask if H needs to 'go down for a rest' if he makes even the slightest fuss. It is really cute. She also asks if I need to go 'help him' if she hears him crying in his room. She loves her brother.

10. Paddy Bear. Bowen loves the story Paddington Bear - or as she calls it - Paddy Bear. She asks her Dadda to read it every night before bed without fail because she knows she has him wrapped around her little finger and he won't say no. If he tries to pick another book, she pitches a fit. She does not pull this with me!

11. Soon. Again soon. Maybe again soon? I love this. B has started using these spacial words. At first, I wondered if she understood what they meant, but I've decided I think that she absolutely does. It started after we took her to see a little play (a 'show' we called it). Ever since, she has been requesting to 'see another show soon' then 'see another show again soon' then 'maybe we'll see another show again soon'! It is too funny and she will say those three sentences consecutively adding in a word at a time to alter the exact meaning of the sentence. She also uses these words now with regards to seeing Esme in the park or Dadda coming home and the list goes on now. It's wonderful to watch her vocabulary bursting open!

12. Oh Toodles!! Mickey Mouse Clubhouse has nearly replaced Dora as her favorite morning cartoon. She loves to repeat the little words and phrases like the magic words - Misca, Mousca, Mickey Mouse! and calling Oh Toodles! and doing the Hot Dog Dance at the end of each episode! You should just see her face light up.

13. Cup of Tea. Oh, Bowen is SO into pouring cups of tea. I have got to get a tea set and pronto!! She played with a set at a playgroup the other day and it is all I have heard about. Maybe a belated birthday gift...?

14. Tickle You. See #1 - that means - 'Tickle ME!'. Just adorable. But she also says it when she tickles H... so who knows! We love it either way.

15. Happy to see you. This is one of those transitional phrases which she is using with 'you' meaning us or her. But let me just tell you how your heart swells when she says - 'Happy to see you, Momma.' I just want to pick her up and swing her through the sky. It is SO heartwarming and lovely. Bowen - we are always happy to see YOU!

OK - well, I think that's going to have to be it for now, although I am sure I could keep going if I let myself. We are SO proud of our sweetie and all she's learning.

Bowen, you are our brilliant girl. We love you so. xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment